Find the meanings of abnormal words or acronyms in our glossary
- Blessed is the man who
doesn’t walk in the counsel of the wicked,
- nor stand in the way of sinners,
- nor sit in the seat of scoffers;
- but his delight is in
- On his law he meditates day and night.
- He will be like a tree
planted by the streams of water,
- that brings forth its fruit in its season,
- whose leaf also does not wither.
- Whatever he does shall prosper.
- The wicked are not so,
- but are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
- Therefore the wicked
shall not stand in the judgment,
- nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
- For Yahweh knows the
way of the righteous,
- but the way of the wicked shall perish.
- Why do the nations
- and the peoples plot a vain thing?
- The kings of the earth
take a stand,
- and the rulers take counsel together,
- against Yahweh, and against his Anointed, saying,
- “Let’s break their
- and cast their cords from us.”
- He who sits in the
heavens will laugh.
- The Lord will have them in derision.
- Then he will speak to
them in his anger,
- and terrify them in his wrath:
- “Yet I have set my
King on my holy hill of Zion.”
- I will tell of the
- Yahweh said to me, “You are my son.
- Today I have become your father.
- Ask of me, and I will
give the nations for your inheritance,
- the uttermost parts of the earth for your possession.
- You shall break them
with a rod of iron.
- You shall dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.”
- Now therefore be
wise, you kings.
- Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
- Serve Yahweh with
- and rejoice with trembling.
sincere homage to the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
- for his wrath will soon be kindled.
- Blessed are all those who take refuge in him.
A Psalm by David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
- Yahweh, how my
adversaries have increased!
- Many are those who rise up against me.
- Many there are who say
of my soul,
- “There is no help for him in God.”
- But you, Yahweh, are a
shield around me,
- my glory, and the one who lifts up my head.
- I cry to Yahweh with
- and he answers me out of his holy hill.
- I laid myself down and
- I awakened; for Yahweh sustains me.
- I will not be afraid
of tens of thousands of people
- who have set themselves against me on every side.
- Arise, Yahweh!
- Save me, my God!
- For you have struck all of my enemies on the cheek bone.
- You have broken the teeth of the wicked.
- Salvation belongs to
- Your blessing be on your people.
For the Chief Musician; on stringed instruments. A Psalm by David.
- Answer me when I call,
God of my righteousness.
- Give me relief from my distress.
- Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
- You sons of men, how
long shall my glory be turned into dishonor?
- Will you love vanity, and seek after falsehood?
- But know that Yahweh
has set apart for himself him who is godly:
- Yahweh will hear when I call to him.
- Stand in awe, and
- Search your own heart on your bed, and be still.
- Offer the sacrifices
- Put your trust in Yahweh.
- Many say, “Who will
show us any good?”
- Yahweh, let the light of your face shine on us.
- You have put gladness
in my heart,
- more than when their grain and their new wine are increased.
- In peace I will both
lay myself down and sleep,
- for you, Yahweh alone, make me live in safety.
For the Chief Musician, with the flutes. A Psalm by David.
- Give ear to my words,
- Consider my meditation.
- Listen to the voice of
my cry, my King and my God;
- for to you do I pray.
- Yahweh, in the morning
you shall hear my voice.
- In the morning I will lay my requests before you, and will watch
- For you are not a God
who has pleasure in wickedness.
- Evil can’t live with you.
- The arrogant shall not
stand in your sight.
- You hate all workers of iniquity.
- You will destroy those
who speak lies.
- Yahweh abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
- But as for me, in the
abundance of your loving kindness I will come into your house.
- I will bow toward your holy temple in reverence of you.
- Lead me, Yahweh, in
your righteousness because of my enemies.
- Make your way straight before my face.
- For there is no
faithfulness in their mouth.
- Their heart is destruction.
- Their throat is an open tomb.
- They flatter with their tongue.
- Hold them guilty, God.
- Let them fall by their own counsels;
- Thrust them out in the multitude of their transgressions,
- for they have rebelled against you.
- But let all those who
take refuge in you rejoice,
- Let them always shout for joy, because you defend them.
- Let them also who love your name be joyful in you.
- For you will bless
- Yahweh, you will surround him with favor as with a shield.
For the Chief Musician; on stringed instruments, upon the
eight-stringed lyre. A Psalm by David.
- Yahweh, don’t rebuke
me in your anger,
- neither discipline me in your wrath.
- Have mercy on me,
Yahweh, for I am faint.
- Yahweh, heal me, for my bones are troubled.
- My soul is also in
- But you, Yahweh—how long?
- Return, Yahweh.
Deliver my soul,
- and save me for your loving kindness’ sake.
- For in death there is
no memory of you.
- In Sheol, who shall give you thanks?
- I am weary with my
- Every night I flood my bed.
- I drench my couch with my tears.
- My eye wastes away
because of grief.
- It grows old because of all my adversaries.
- Depart from me, all
you workers of iniquity,
- for Yahweh has heard the voice of my weeping.
- Yahweh has heard my
- Yahweh accepts my prayer.
- May all my enemies be
ashamed and dismayed.
- They shall turn back, they shall be disgraced suddenly.
A meditation by David, which he sang to Yahweh, concerning the words of
Cush, the Benjamite.
- Yahweh, my God, I take
refuge in you.
- Save me from all those who pursue me, and deliver me,
- lest they tear apart
my soul like a lion,
- ripping it in pieces, while there is none to deliver.
- Yahweh, my God, if I
have done this,
- if there is iniquity in my hands,
- if I have rewarded
evil to him who was at peace with me
- (yes, if I have delivered him who without cause was my adversary),
- let the enemy pursue
my soul, and overtake it;
- yes, let him tread my life down to the earth,
- and lay my glory in the dust.
- Arise, Yahweh, in your
- Lift up yourself against the rage of my adversaries.
- Awake for me. You have commanded judgment.
- Let the congregation
of the peoples surround you.
- Rule over them on high.
- Yahweh administers
judgment to the peoples.
- Judge me, Yahweh, according to my righteousness,
- and to my integrity that is in me.
- Oh let the wickedness
of the wicked come to an end,
- but establish the righteous;
- their minds and hearts are searched by the righteous God.
- My shield is with God,
- who saves the upright in heart.
- God is a righteous
- yes, a God who has indignation every day.
- If a man doesn’t
relent, he will sharpen his sword;
- he has bent and strung his bow.
- He has also prepared
for himself the instruments of death.
- He makes ready his flaming arrows.
- Behold, he travails
- Yes, he has conceived mischief,
- and brought forth falsehood.
- He has dug a hole,
- and has fallen into the pit which he made.
- The trouble he causes
shall return to his own head.
- His violence shall come down on the crown of his own head.
- I will give thanks to
Yahweh according to his righteousness,
- and will sing praise to the name of Yahweh Most High.
For the Chief Musician; on an instrument of Gath. A Psalm by David.
- Yahweh, our Lord, how
majestic is your name in all the earth,
- who has set your glory above the heavens!
- From the lips of babes
and infants you have established strength,
- because of your adversaries, that you might silence the enemy and the
- When I consider your
heavens, the work of your fingers,
- the moon and the stars, which you have ordained;
- what is man, that you
think of him?
- What is the son of man, that you care for him?
- For you have made him
a little lower than God,
- and crowned him with glory and honor.
- You make him ruler
over the works of your hands.
- You have put all things under his feet:
- All sheep and cattle,
- yes, and the animals of the field,
- The birds of the sky,
the fish of the sea,
- and whatever passes through the paths of the seas.
- Yahweh, our Lord,
- how majestic is your name in all the earth!
For the Chief Musician. Set to “The Death of the Son.” A Psalm by
- I will give thanks to
Yahweh with my whole heart.
- I will tell of all your marvelous works.
- I will be glad and
rejoice in you.
- I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
- When my enemies turn
- they stumble and perish in your presence.
- For you have
maintained my just cause.
- You sit on the throne judging righteously.
- You have rebuked the
- You have destroyed the wicked.
- You have blotted out their name forever and ever.
- The enemy is overtaken
by endless ruin.
- The very memory of the cities which you have overthrown has perished.
- But Yahweh reigns
- He has prepared his throne for judgment.
- He will judge the
world in righteousness.
- He will administer judgment to the peoples in uprightness.
- Yahweh will also be a
high tower for the oppressed;
- a high tower in times of trouble.
- Those who know your
name will put their trust in you,
- for you, Yahweh, have not forsaken those who seek you.
- Sing praises to
Yahweh, who dwells in Zion,
- and declare among the people what he has done.
- For he who avenges
blood remembers them.
- He doesn’t forget the cry of the afflicted.
- Have mercy on me,
- See my affliction by those who hate me,
- and lift me up from the gates of death;
- that I may show forth
all your praise.
- In the gates of the daughter of Zion, I will rejoice in your salvation.
- The nations have sunk
down in the pit that they made.
- In the net which they hid, their own foot is taken.
- Yahweh has made
- He has executed judgment.
- The wicked is snared by the work of his own hands.
- Meditation. Selah.
- The wicked shall be
turned back to Sheol,
- even all the nations that forget God.
- For the needy shall
not always be forgotten,
- nor the hope of the poor perish forever.
- Arise, Yahweh!
Don’t let man prevail.
- Let the nations be judged in your sight.
- Put them in fear,
- Let the nations know that they are only men.
- Why do you stand far
- Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?
- In arrogance, the
wicked hunt down the weak.
- They are caught in the schemes that they devise.
- For the wicked boasts
of his heart’s cravings.
- He blesses the greedy, and condemns Yahweh.
- The wicked, in the
pride of his face,
- has no room in his thoughts for God.
- His ways are
prosperous at all times.
- He is haughty, and your laws are far from his sight.
- As for all his adversaries, he sneers at them.
- He says in his heart,
“I shall not be shaken.
- For generations I shall have no trouble.”
- His mouth is full of
cursing, deceit, and oppression.
- Under his tongue is mischief and iniquity.
- He lies in wait near
- From ambushes, he murders the innocent.
- His eyes are secretly set against the helpless.
- He lurks in secret as
a lion in his ambush.
- He lies in wait to catch the helpless.
- He catches the helpless, when he draws him in his net.
- The helpless are
- They collapse.
- They fall under his strength.
- He says in his
heart, “God has forgotten.
- He hides his face.
- He will never see it.”
- Arise, Yahweh!
- God, lift up your hand!
- Don’t forget the helpless.
- Why does the wicked
person condemn God,
- and say in his heart, “God won’t call me into account?”
- But you do see
trouble and grief.
- You consider it to take it into your hand.
- You help the victim and the fatherless.
- Break the arm of the
- As for the evil man, seek out his wickedness until you find none.
- Yahweh is King
forever and ever!
- The nations will perish out of his land.
- Yahweh, you have
heard the desire of the humble.
- You will prepare their heart.
- You will cause your ear to hear,
- to judge the
fatherless and the oppressed,
- that man who is of the earth may terrify no more.
Last updated: December 31, 1969
Related articles:Magickal Uses of the Psalms
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to add one