Find the meanings of abnormal words or acronyms in our glossary
For the Chief Musician. On an instrument of Gath. By Asaph.
- Sing aloud to God,
- Make a joyful shout to the God of Jacob!
- Raise a song, and
bring here the tambourine,
- the pleasant lyre with the harp.
- Blow the trumpet at
the New Moon,
- at the full moon, on our feast day.
- For it is a statute
- an ordinance of the God of Jacob.
- He appointed it in
Joseph for a testimony,
- when he went out over the land of Egypt,
- I heard a language that I didn’t know.
- “I removed his
shoulder from the burden.
- His hands were freed from the basket.
- You called in
trouble, and I delivered you.
- I answered you in the secret place of thunder.
- I tested you at the waters of Meribah.”
- “Hear, my people,
and I will testify to you,
- Israel, if you would listen to me!
- There shall be no
strange god in you,
- neither shall you worship any foreign god.
- I am Yahweh, your
- who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
- Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
- But my people
didn’t listen to my voice.
- Israel desired none of me.
- So I let them go
after the stubbornness of their hearts,
- that they might walk in their own counsels.
- Oh that my people
would listen to me,
- that Israel would walk in my ways!
- I would soon subdue
- and turn my hand against their adversaries.
- The haters of Yahweh
would cringe before him,
- and their punishment would last forever.
- But he would have
also fed them with the finest of the wheat.
- I will satisfy you with honey out of the rock.”
A Psalm by Asaph.
- God presides in the
- He judges among the gods.
- “How long will you
- and show partiality to the wicked?”
- “Defend the weak,
the poor, and the fatherless.
- Maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
- Rescue the weak and
- Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.”
- They don’t know,
neither do they understand.
- They walk back and forth in darkness.
- All the foundations of the earth are shaken.
- I said, “You are
- all of you are sons of the Most High.
- Nevertheless you
shall die like men,
- and fall like one of the rulers.”
- Arise, God, judge the
- for you inherit all of the nations.
A song. A Psalm by Asaph.
- God, don’t keep
- Don’t keep silent,
- and don’t be still, God.
- For, behold, your
enemies are stirred up.
- Those who hate you have lifted up their heads.
- They conspire with
cunning against your people.
- They plot against your cherished ones.
- “Come,” they say,
“and let’s destroy them as a nation,
- that the name of Israel may be remembered no more.”
- For they have
conspired together with one mind.
- They form an alliance against you.
- The tents of Edom and
- Moab, and the Hagrites;
- Gebal, Ammon, and
- Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre;
- Assyria also is
joined with them.
- They have helped the children of Lot.
- Do to them as you did
- as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the river Kishon;
- who perished at
- who became as dung for the earth.
- Make their nobles
like Oreb and Zeeb;
- yes, all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna;
- who said, “Let us
take possession of God’s pasturelands.”
- My God, make them
- like chaff before the wind.
- As the fire that
burns the forest,
- as the flame that sets the mountains on fire,
- so pursue them with
- and terrify them with your storm.
- Fill their faces
- that they may seek your name, Yahweh.
- Let them be
disappointed and dismayed forever.
- Yes, let them be confounded and perish;
- that they may know
that you alone, whose name is Yahweh,
- are the Most High over all the earth.
For the Chief Musician. On an instrument of Gath. A Psalm by the sons
- How lovely are your
- Yahweh of Armies!
- My soul longs, and
even faints for the courts of Yahweh.
- My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
- Yes, the sparrow has
found a home,
- and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young,
- near your altars, Yahweh of Armies, my King, and my God.
- Blessed are those who
dwell in your house.
- They are always praising you.
- Blessed are those
whose strength is in you;
- who have set their hearts on a pilgrimage.
- Passing through the
valley of Weeping, they make it a place of springs.
- Yes, the autumn rain covers it with blessings.
- They go from strength
- Everyone of them appears before God in Zion.
- Yahweh, God of
Armies, hear my prayer.
- Listen, God of Jacob.
- Behold, God our
- look at the face of your anointed.
- For a day in your
courts is better than a thousand.
- I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God,
- than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
- For Yahweh God is a
sun and a shield.
- Yahweh will give grace and glory.
- He withholds no good thing from those who walk blamelessly.
- Yahweh of Armies,
- blessed is the man who trusts in you.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm by the sons of Korah.
- Yahweh, you have been
favorable to your land.
- You have restored the fortunes of Jacob.
- You have forgiven the
iniquity of your people.
- You have covered all their sin.
- You have taken away
all your wrath.
- You have turned from the fierceness of your anger.
- Turn us, God of our
- and cause your indignation toward us to cease.
- Will you be angry
with us forever?
- Will you draw out your anger to all generations?
- Won’t you revive us
- that your people may rejoice in you?
- Show us your loving
- Grant us your salvation.
- I will hear what God,
Yahweh, will speak,
- for he will speak peace to his people, his saints;
- but let them not turn again to folly.
- Surely his salvation
is near those who fear him,
- that glory may dwell in our land.
- Mercy and truth meet
- Righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
- Truth springs out of
- Righteousness has looked down from heaven.
- Yes, Yahweh will
give that which is good.
- Our land will yield its increase.
- Righteousness goes
- And prepares the way for his steps.
A Prayer by David.
- Hear, Yahweh, and
- for I am poor and needy.
- Preserve my soul, for
I am godly.
- You, my God, save your servant who trusts in you.
- Be merciful to me,
- for I call to you all day long.
- Bring joy to the soul
of your servant,
- for to you, Lord, do I lift up my soul.
- For you, Lord, are
good, and ready to forgive;
- abundant in loving kindness to all those who call on you.
- Hear, Yahweh, my
- Listen to the voice of my petitions.
- In the day of my
trouble I will call on you,
- for you will answer me.
- There is no one like
you among the gods, Lord,
- nor any deeds like your deeds.
- All nations you have
made will come and worship before you, Lord.
- They shall glorify your name.
- For you are great,
and do wondrous things.
- You are God alone.
- Teach me your way,
- I will walk in your truth.
- Make my heart undivided to fear your name.
- I will praise you,
Lord my God, with my whole heart.
- I will glorify your name forevermore.
- For your loving
kindness is great toward me.
- You have delivered my soul from the lowest Sheol.
- God, the proud have
risen up against me.
- A company of violent men have sought after my soul,
- and they don’t hold regard for you before them.
- But you, Lord, are a
merciful and gracious God,
- slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness and truth.
- Turn to me, and have
mercy on me!
- Give your strength to your servant.
- Save the son of your handmaid.
- Show me a sign of
- that those who hate me may see it, and be shamed,
- because you, Yahweh, have helped me, and comforted me.
A Psalm by the sons of Korah; a Song.
- His foundation is in
the holy mountains.
- Yahweh loves the
gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
- Glorious things are
spoken about you, city of God.
- I will record Rahab and Babylon among those who acknowledge me.
- Behold, Philistia, Tyre, and also Ethiopia:
- “This one was born there.”
- Yes, of Zion it will
be said, “This one and that one was born in her;”
- the Most High himself will establish her.
- Yahweh will count,
when he writes up the peoples,
- “This one was born there.”
- Those who sing as
well as those who dance say,
- “All my springs are in you.”
A Song. A Psalm by the sons of Korah. For the Chief Musician. To the
tune of “The Suffering of Affliction.” A contemplation by Heman, the
- Yahweh, the God of my
- I have cried day and night before you.
- Let my prayer enter
into your presence.
- Turn your ear to my cry.
- For my soul is full
- My life draws near to Sheol.
- I am counted among
those who go down into the pit.
- I am like a man who has no help,
- set apart among the
- like the slain who lie in the grave,
- whom you remember no more.
- They are cut off from your hand.
- You have laid me in
the lowest pit,
- in the darkest depths.
- Your wrath lies
heavily on me.
- You have afflicted me with all your waves.
- You have taken my
friends from me.
- You have made me an abomination to them.
- I am confined, and I can’t escape.
- My eyes are dim from
- I have called on you daily, Yahweh.
- I have spread out my hands to you.
- Do you show wonders
to the dead?
- Do the dead rise up and praise you?
- Is your loving
kindness declared in the grave?
- Or your faithfulness in Destruction?
- Are your wonders
made known in the dark?
- Or your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
- But to you, Yahweh,
I have cried.
- In the morning, my prayer comes before you.
- Yahweh, why do you
reject my soul?
- Why do you hide your face from me?
- I am afflicted and
ready to die from my youth up.
- While I suffer your terrors, I am distracted.
- Your fierce wrath
has gone over me.
- Your terrors have cut me off.
- They came around me
like water all day long.
- They completely engulfed me.
- You have put lover
and friend far from me,
- and my friends into darkness.
A contemplation by Ethan, the Ezrahite.
- I will sing of the
loving kindness of Yahweh forever.
- With my mouth, I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.
- I indeed declare,
“Love stands firm forever.
- You established the heavens.
- Your faithfulness is in them.”
- “I have made a
covenant with my chosen one,
- I have sworn to David, my servant,
- ‘I will establish
your seed forever,
- and build up your throne to all generations.’”
- The heavens will
praise your wonders, Yahweh;
- your faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones.
- For who in the skies
can be compared to Yahweh?
- Who among the sons of the heavenly beings is like Yahweh,
- a very awesome God in
the council of the holy ones,
- to be feared above all those who are around him?
- Yahweh, God of
Armies, who is a mighty one, like you?
- Yah, your faithfulness is around you.
- You rule the pride of
- When its waves rise up, you calm them.
- You have broken
Rahab in pieces, like one of the slain.
- You have scattered your enemies with your mighty arm.
- The heavens are
- The earth also is yours;
- the world and its fullness.
- You have founded them.
- The north and the
south, you have created them.
- Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
- You have a mighty
- Your hand is strong, and your right hand is exalted.
- Righteousness and
justice are the foundation of your throne.
- Loving kindness and truth go before your face.
- Blessed are the
people who learn to acclaim you.
- They walk in the light of your presence, Yahweh.
- In your name they
rejoice all day.
- In your righteousness, they are exalted.
- For you are the
glory of their strength.
- In your favor, our horn will be exalted.
- For our shield
belongs to Yahweh;
- our king to the Holy One of Israel.
- Then you spoke in
vision to your saints,
- and said, “I have bestowed strength on the warrior.
- I have exalted a young man from the people.
- I have found David,
- I have anointed him with my holy oil,
- with whom my hand
shall be established.
- My arm will also strengthen him.
- No enemy will tax
- No wicked man will oppress him.
- I will beat down his
adversaries before him,
- and strike those who hate him.
- But my faithfulness
and my loving kindness will be with him.
- In my name, his horn will be exalted.
- I will set his hand
also on the sea,
- and his right hand on the rivers.
- He will call to me,
‘You are my Father,
- my God, and the rock of my salvation!’
- I will also appoint
him my firstborn,
- the highest of the kings of the earth.
- I will keep my
loving kindness for him forevermore.
- My covenant will stand firm with him.
- I will also make his
seed endure forever,
- and his throne as the days of heaven.
- If his children
forsake my law,
- and don’t walk in my ordinances;
- if they break my
- and don’t keep my commandments;
- then I will punish
their sin with the rod,
- and their iniquity with stripes.
- But I will not
completely take my loving kindness from him,
- nor allow my faithfulness to fail.
- I will not break my
- nor alter what my lips have uttered.
- Once have I sworn by
- I will not lie to David.
- His seed will endure
- his throne like the sun before me.
- It will be
established forever like the moon,
- the faithful witness in the sky.”
- But you have
rejected and spurned.
- You have been angry with your anointed.
- You have renounced
the covenant of your servant.
- You have defiled his crown in the dust.
- You have broken down
all his hedges.
- You have brought his strongholds to ruin.
- All who pass by the
way rob him.
- He has become a reproach to his neighbors.
- You have exalted the
right hand of his adversaries.
- You have made all of his enemies rejoice.
- Yes, you turn back
the edge of his sword,
- and haven’t supported him in battle.
- You have ended his
- and thrown his throne down to the ground.
- You have shortened
the days of his youth.
- You have covered him with shame.
- How long, Yahweh?
- Will you hide yourself forever?
- Will your wrath burn like fire?
- Remember how short
my time is!
- For what vanity have you created all the children of men!
- What man is he who
shall live and not see death,
- who shall deliver his soul from the power of Sheol?
- Lord, where are your
former loving kindnesses,
- which you swore to David in your faithfulness?
- Remember, Lord, the
reproach of your servants,
- how I bear in my heart the taunts of all the mighty peoples,
- With which your
enemies have mocked, Yahweh,
- with which they have mocked the footsteps of your anointed one.
- Blessed be Yahweh
- Amen, and Amen.
A Prayer by Moses, the man of God.
- Lord, you have been our dwelling place for all generations.
- Before the mountains
were brought forth,
- before you had formed the earth and the world,
- even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God.
- You turn man to
- “Return, you children of men.”
- For a thousand years
in your sight are just like yesterday when it is past,
- like a watch in the night.
- You sweep them away
as they sleep.
- In the morning they sprout like new grass.
- In the morning it
sprouts and springs up.
- By evening, it is withered and dry.
- For we are consumed
in your anger.
- We are troubled in your wrath.
- You have set our
iniquities before you,
- our secret sins in the light of your presence.
- For all our days have
passed away in your wrath.
- We bring our years to an end as a sigh.
- The days of our
years are seventy,
- or even by reason of strength eighty years;
- yet their pride is but labor and sorrow,
- for it passes quickly, and we fly away.
- Who knows the power
of your anger,
- your wrath according to the fear that is due to you?
- So teach us to
number our days,
- that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
- Relent, Yahweh!
- How long?
- Have compassion on your servants!
- Satisfy us in the
morning with your loving kindness,
- that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
- Make us glad for as
many days as you have afflicted us,
- for as many years as we have seen evil.
- Let your work appear
to your servants;
- your glory to their children.
- Let the favor of the
Lord our God be on us;
- establish the work of our hands for us;
- yes, establish the work of our hands.
Last updated: December 31, 1969
Related articles:Magickal Uses of the Psalms
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to add one