Back to the present time and place:
People are going to the bigger retail chains for the new age books, which are now being exposed to a more mainstream audience. Of course, you will find lots of new age authors interspersed among the rest of the store’s inventory… which may or may not help. I’ve seen the so many of the wrong books stuck in the “American Indian” section, and the Abraham Hicks books stuck in the “self help” section not to mention anything on Crowley defining “Occult” in it’s entirety! If the customers cannot locate what they are looking for, it won’t be purchased and the book publishers will have to buy back that inventory after a while. That will eventually tend to narrow the range of what will be published.
Most high end bookstores as described above, has a pretty small new age section, limited to some paranormal crap, some wiccan stuff, a bunch of astrology stuff, and the usual hack Sylvia Browne and other assorted “psychic” soft-core which some label as fluff authors. If you want a particular author, you have to go fish with the computer wizard.
How do we reincarnate success?
If you’re a consumer
- Support what’s left of your local store
- If purchasing online is convenient for you don’t feel guilty purchase online but from an occult/spiritual dealer
- Request that your local or online store purchase you item for you. They can usually purchase it a lot cheaper as they purchase in bulk.
- Don’t waste your time in High Street bookstores if you’re serious about the topic as chances are you’ll be left to with little to no direction beyond pointing you in the direction to pay for your book/item
If you’re an actual storeowner support our authors:
- Give seminars and educational sessions so your customers want to learn more. The more they learn and from your store the more likely they will purchase from you
- Put everything online! People may not be able to travel to your store but they will most certainly purchase if you have the item in question in stock!
- Don’t be afraid to operate online exclusively if you cannot afford to operate with a storefront…A storefront is less likely to make as much money an online store, so be willing to evolve to change.